Wednesday 9 February 2011

I hate buying cars!

For the second time now I've heard the line 'I'm not sure how they've got this through an MOT' when having a newly purchased car checked-over by a garage I trust.

And it's beginning to get a bit annoying.

I fully understand that buying vehicles down at the 'budget' end of the spectrum means taking a little bit of a gamble. And I'm also aware that I'm no mechanic and there's only so much checking of a vehicle I can do before purchase. But where do these little two-bit, back street garages get off selling cars that turn out to be barely road-worthy to people that don't have much in the way of spare income to repair them?

And relax...

At this point I have to tell myself the positives: low-mileage, good body and paint, cheap. If I wanted a car without 'issues' I would've paid more.

I'm not going to dwell on negative stuff: new pads fitted, yet brake discs at end of life, wrong clutch cable fitted, two tyres with incorrect profile (I'm annoyed I didn't spot this) and a host of other little bodge-jobs seemingly to get the car through a test.

So that's my word of warning kids - a car can be un-roadworthy the minute it leaves a testing station. DO NOT take an MOT certificate as some kind of guarantee that you'll have 12 months of trouble-free motoring...

...and (as much as I don't want to tar them all with the same brush) never, ever, trust a car dealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment